Sunday, January 9, 2011

Artist Spotlight; Shane Levene

Describes himself as: An artist influenced by the darker acts of living and life. Cleanness and straight lines do not appeal to me.


Info: Current Residence: Lyon, France


Interests: Writing, Cinema

Favourite movie: There are too many: David Lynch, Phillip Garrell, Kusturica, Kiewslowski, Kubrik

Favourite band or musician: The Smiths, Libertines, Babyshambles, Serge Gainsbourg, Tindersticks, Nick Cave, Leonard Cohen

Favourite genre of music: I love the 1st wave of punk... it has served as a greater influence than any artist or art movement.

Favourite artist: I hate artists... they're all lowlife, pretentious scumbags.

Favourite poet or writer: Orwell, Burroughs ,Yeats

Favourite photographer: Robert Doisneau

Favourite style of art: I don't like art... what style is that?.

Favourite game: Hopscotch

Favourite cartoon character: Captain Haddock

Personal Quote: Fuck me.

Tools of the Trade: Brain & two hands

Website: http://shanelevene.hpage.com

Email: mr.shanelevene@gmail.com

I found his work by happenstance while searching for an artist I lost touch with a few years back. I like the haunting and somewhat dark but calming interpretation of the subjects in his portraits. I would love for him to do one of me but for now I am considering starting a small collection. The guy is realistic and in your face and yet exudes a gentle disposition in his paintings his work sings to me as Wynton Marsalis..and his artwork I am falling in love with.




No comments:

Post a Comment